Recently I have been working on some possible designs for a wallpaper and fabric print for The Galvin Brothers. The idea is that at the designs focus on the work of a joiner and also the narrative where the products come form and how they are formed. As from tomorrow(12th march)You can see their beautifully crafted work at a pop up shop with an interior space curated by Darkroom. Click here for details.These designs are all still very much work in progress.
Possible fabric repeat
currently the most successful design , using the narrative and forms- need to be developed in colour
An illustration for a job I recently tested on.I cant say too much about the content as unfortunately I didn't get the job but I had to work to a strict colour and modular branding guidelines which was an enjoyable problem.
Below are some posts of some of the work I have been up to over the last month. There will be a new website and blog coming soon but in the meantime I plan on just posting work up at the end/start of every month. so have a good febraury and more soon.
Recently finished working on some artwork created with Spencer Wilson for the The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel. The work was commissioned by Vital Arts and the work was for the Childrens out patients area.
The idea was that on different walls there would be parts of the same parade all heading to the main waiting areas. The characters would all be carrying letter forms that would come together to form a positive piece of typography in the waiting area.
Because of the nature of the hospital, how it is used etc the wallpaper is coated. The job was beautifully printed and installed by Omni. Better photos of the whole space will be taken soon.
my Idea was a simple one to cover the egg in explorers, looking , hunting for something.
The use of one colour, blue against the white was influenced by its use throughout history in the decorative arts from around the world. The design also had to work technically. The egg will be place outside later this year in a UK city and therefore will be covered in a lacquer. This meant my usual choice of mediums, paper pencil where not suitable. It was a good exercise in translating my work onto an object via paint, whilst trying to keep in as crude and true to the edges made when I cut paper.
More on this project once the event launches around easter.
Illustration for Food and Wine magazine. The article was about someone eating only italian food for 5 days straight in NewYork. My initial rough wasn't a strong concept but I just wanted to try and get the joy that was in the writing across- being surrounded by and enjoying all the food that was on offer...
After the feedback- something more conceptual was needed.The second drawing was trying to get the 5 day part in but felt very clunky and forced , hanging onto a drawing i liked but didn't work......
so this was abandoned for the simple , bold approach. My idea of a face made from pasta felt like a bad joke,like a pasta image when you are at play school, maybe not one of my better ideas but once rendered it, it started to workout ok ......
But for the final image using typography /spaghetti /days of the week was used.
This is pretty far out of my remit of work / visual language, but its always interesting where commissions take you
Heres a couple of recent editorial illustrations. They are more involved images than I would usually try to make for editorial but on both jobs, this multi narrative aspect was needed rather than a simple solution. The top one is for a great piece written by Robert Andrew Powell for Harpers. It's about Seattle Library and what he witnessed, became part of whilst spending some time there trying to write.
I tried to get various scenarios, characters mentoned in the copy and a sense of the architecture, moving through the different floors.
The bottom illustration is for HBR magazine. the article is about the flexibility within a bartering system compared to a fixed price, It uses a market in Turkey as a case study. It was important for this image to have a busy feel but i'm not sure this completely works. Its a fine line between it feeling busy and clumsy/confused in its construction.
I did these still images for an animation pitch for a cancer charity. The three images depict three parts in the script- the moment of someone dying, a fun run, and the city landscape.They are too heavy on the print texture for my liking but that was part of the clients reference. Unfortunately I didnt get the job